Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Book of Mormon Marathon

October 23-25, 2014

The Young Men and Young Women in our Ward had a combined activity where they read the Book of Mormon in 2 days!  It was crazy!!

They all met at the Church on Friday at 4 p.m. and began reading.  Dinner was provided for them (pizza!) and they read and read and read....actually, they listened, and listened and listened.  They took breaks to run around and go to the bathroom each hour but then they went back in the room and read.  I sent Ethan with his pillow, some snacks and some water.  He wasn't too excited about it but he went.

They went on Friday until about 11:45 p.m.  Ethan was EXHAUSTED!!  He just came home and went straight to bed.

Saturday morning they were back at the Church at 7 a.m.  This time Ethan took a set of scriptures instead of reading from his iPod.  It was a lot easier to follow along that way, he said.  The Bishopric provided breakfast.  Lunch was brought in (sandwiches) by the young men's leaders.  I went up after lunch to check on them.  Actually, they had sandwiches left over so they asked me to deliver them to people in the Ward who could use them.  I didn't get to see Ethan though.  But they were plugging along and the leaders were optimistic they would be able to finish on time.

Saturday dinner was dutch oven with desserts made by women in the Ward.  Courtney and I took some treats up and checked on Ethan.  He was reading away.


On one of their breaks they had the youth clean the building (the Ward that was supposed to do it never showed up) to wake them up and then they finished reading.  They finished the entire Book of Mormon at about 10:45 p.m. on Saturday.  THEY DID IT!!  Ethan was EXHAUSTED!!

I asked Ethan how the activity was and he said, "I don't ever need to do that again."  He also commented the next morning that he was dreaming in "scripture language."  Pretty funny!  But now he recognizes things they read when we are reading as a family.  I think it was a great activity.  I think the leaders are planning to do it every 4 years so all the youth can have an opportunity to participate.

I am happy for them and think it's a great opportunity.  We have some great leaders in our Ward.

No comments: