On Thursday (New Year's Eve), we all loaded up and drove to Copper Mountain, but we made a little detour to a sled hill in Silverthorn. It was the best hill ever because it was more like a sunken bowl. So all around were great places to sled down. The kids loved it but it was WAY too cold for me! I went down a few times but the wind was blowing so I was freezing.
When we were tired and cold, we made our way to the condo. It was meant to sleep 18 people and we had 27 so there were some adjustments that needed to be made. We had 2 rollaway beds but we weren't sure where to put them. I think one mattress was taken off and used for someone but there was an extra one the first night.
Ethan staked his claim on a spot under the stairs to the 3rd floor. It wasn't roomy but it was his spot. We had taken the kid's camping stuff so they had pads and sleeping bags. Courtney had a bed upstairs.
The group went to the ski rental shop so we could get our skis for the next day. It was crazy outfitting that many people but some were sharing. It was decided that Jessica, Jenny, Shelley and I would share 2 passes on Friday and share the ski rental. That meant only 2 of us had to go get the skis.
New Year's Eve wasn't too thrilling for us. Bryan, Courtney and I went out exploring. She loved the big chairs with a "C" on them!
She was in charge of navigation:
We were all tired so we went to bed. Everyone else stayed up and played games and rang in the new year.
Ethan only lasted one night under the stairs because the noise from the first floor filtered up to where he was and he didn't get much sleep. He was pretty miserable. So we changed the direction of our bed and put the extra roll away bed in our room. It worked out great.
On New Year's Day we all woke up and went skiing. Ethan had decided he wanted to go snowboarding so we got him stuff to do that, but by the end of the morning he was ready to trade in the snowboard for skis and he did much better. I used the passes in the afternoon which was great for me because it was -8 degrees in the morning! No way was I going out in that and flying down a hill on two waxed boards!! I was just fine waiting until the afternoon.
As I said, I stayed on the bunny hill but Courtney was a natural and went down some other runs with Julie and with Bryan. She had a blast and was really doing well. Ethan is more like I am and was having a great time staying on the bunny hill.
Here they are getting their ski passes from Grandpa.
Ethan was ready to go and sweating while waiting for everyone else to get ready.
This is our ski bunny!
On Saturday, I had my own ski pass so I had to go on Friday night to get another set of skis that I could use. Then on Saturday I went out in the morning for the first runs. I felt more comfortable in the morning than the afternoon because it wasn't all cut up from someone else skiing. Then I spent the afternoon with Bryan and Ethan on the slopes until Courtney got bored. Julie took her to some other harder runs and Courtney had a blast. Ethan got cold so he went back. I was getting skied out so Bryan decided to go on some harder runs alone while I went back to the condo.
When I got there, Ethan was helping to babysit Tyler while Lisa went out with Alli. He wasn't quite sure what do and Tyler was sad. So we got my kindle out and helped Tyler play the dot game. It was cute to see Ethan helping to cheer Tyler up.
Lisa came back, I showered and then Ethan and I went on a walk to explore. We found some funny t-shirts in some shops. I should have taken a picture of my favorite. It said "World's Okayest Skier." That's me!
We had to take all the skis and boots back to the rental place by 6 p.m. so someone (the genius in the family) thought of using the luggage carts to take all the skis back. It made it so much easier! Sure, boots kept falling off the cart but at least we didn't each have to carry a ton of boots in our hands. When we passed people they would say "That's a lot of skis!" Yes it is!
Sunday morning bright and early we loaded the van and were ready to head out. Grandpa had tried to take a family picture the night before but it was all blurry so we got together for one more before family prayer and we left.
Here we are pulling faces:
This is the serious picture:
Right before we left, Ethan gave the young boy cousins their present...light sabers...and then we left so we didn't have to deal with the consequences. You're welcome!
The roads were good and we were home in good time. It was a fun, loud and crazy week but it was great to see everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment