Thursday, August 12, 2010

She's 5 Years Old!!

Courtney is now 5 years old!! She gave us her birthday breakfast order last week (she just wanted us to be prepared) of crepes with whipped cream and chocolate pudding with milk. Ethan got up to help Bryan make them but Ethan was so excited about Courtney's birthday that he asked for permission to go in and cuddle with her while she woke up. I told him he could but now Courtney is complaining the "Ethan woke me up too early."

Bryan and Ethan made a fantastic birthday breakfast and we put it on a tray. Ethan wrote her a cute note and put it on the tray also. Then we took it to her room and sang "Happy Birthday" to her. Bryan gave her flowers (as he does each year, although she always gives him a "friendly" reminder) and she loved it. She was so thrilled and loved it!! Bryan cut up the crepe and she ate one of them before she was full and wanted to come out to see the decorations.





Courtney then got ready for the day and we got Ethan off to his second day of third grade!! I went downstairs to finish sewing some bags for the party (yeah, I know I should have done it earlier but I didn't have time yesterday, okay?!). I got them done and got everything out for the party. I had put all the things together last week and in a box so I would be organized and it went really well.

Courtney wanted a Birthday P"art"y where they make art stuff. I bought some crayons, aprons, glue sticks, pencil boxes, watercolors and paint brushes for goodie bags and then decided we would paint terra cotta pots and, while they were drying, make some tissue paper flowers to fill them. When the girls arrived at our house, I had the cloth bags out on the table with some fabric markers. They each got to decorate their bag the way they wanted. Most of them drew flowers, which was cute!

Then we cleared the table and got the paints out with the pots and let them to to it. It was funny to listen to them talk while they were painting. Bryan commented on how different Courtney's parties are from Ethan's. It feels like you have been hit by a train after Ethan's party but Courtney's is a lot more calm. Anyway, they painted, talked, giggled, and had a great time. While the pots were drying, Bryan and I helped them make their flowers. They had so much fun with this because I had a bunch of different colors of tissue paper and they mixed and matched their colors for the flowers. They each had at least 3 flowers made by the end. We gave them back their pots and they were able to put some foam stickers on the pot if they wanted to add a bit more decorations. They I put some foam stuff in the pots and they put in their flowers. It turned out really well.





After they washed their hands it was time for cupcakes. Bryan put a candle on the one Courtney wanted and then we sang to her and she blew the candle out...for the first time in her life. She has always had a fear of fire and blowing out candles hasn't been a thing she's wanted to do, until this year. She was so proud of herself for doing it.




They ate cupcakes and had water then it was time to open presents. Courtney got some fun art stuff and dolls. She loved it. I then took the girls outside to keep them occupied with bubbles while Bryan organized things inside and left to go back to work. I kept the girls outside until their moms came to pick them up.






Courtney said it was the best party ever! She has a cute bunch of friends.

That night we had her family party. My parents, Leigh Ann, and Don and Kathy came over and we had pizza swirls (cinnamon roll shaped pizzas), rootbeer, strawberries and salad. Then we had birthday cake and she opened presents. Her most notable gift is a FurReal cat. It's freaky! The thing has batteries in it and when you pet it, it purrs and it will roll over on its back so you can scratch it's belly. If you leave it for a while it will open it's eyes wide and stare at you, blinking once in a while. It's odd. Courtney finally asked me to turn it off and now she just plays with it like a cat. It slept in her bed with her last night too. It was cute.

I think she had a good day.

No comments: