Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Reflections

Every year the PTA has a Reflections contest.  Students can enter all kinds of projects from dances, music compositions, drawings, photos, and poems/stories.  Courtney always draws a picture at the last minute and then enters it.  This year she said she wanted to do something but then never said anything more.  So I threw out the form thinking we would have a year where I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Three days before it was due, Courtney asked where the forms was so she could get started.  WHAT?!?!  Luckily, the school emailed the form to all the parents so I printed out a copy and asked her what she wanted to do.  We didn't have a lot of time so she needed to be thinking fast!  She decided she wanted to take a photo of the sunrise.  I had meetings on Sunday before Church so Bryan took over helping her.  He didn't realize what it was for and I didn't explain the whole thing to him.  I had the camera on a tripod and figured it would be easier if she used the timer on the camera so she wouldn't shake and make the photo blurry.

Sunday morning, Bryan showed Courtney how to focus the camera, how to set the timer, and then he stood back and let her take photos of whatever she wanted to.  And this is the photo she ended up with:

I was really amazed when I downloaded it that evening.  We didn't do any editing to the photo.  I sent it to Costco for printing and picked it up on Monday.  Courtney filled out the paperwork giving her photo a title (I can't remember what it was) and explaining why this photo inspired her.  We put it in all in a page protector and she turned it in on Tuesday, which was the deadline. 

The next week the school winners were announced and she WON!!  She got a certificate, $5 gift coin to Target, and they are sending her submission on to the District competition.  She was so excited and I was so proud of her because it was all her own work!!

No comments: