Saturday, July 2, 2016

Scout Camp

Ethan left for scout camp the Monday before I left for girls camp. The plan (from what I understood but I could be wrong) was for them to camp at Oak Grove then backpack Tuesday and Wednesday over to Pine Valley where they would spend the night at a cabin. They would then go to Baker Reservoir Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Ethan wasn't too excited to go because his buddies weren't going but the deacons really wanted him to go. He loaded his backpack (37 pounds) and headed out. 

They spent the night fine and headed off on their hike Tuesday morning. They got to their backpacking campsite just fine and spent the night. But on Wednesday afternoon the Fire Marshall flew up in his helicopter to tell them to turn around. There was a huge fire in Pine Valley. The boys were never close to the fire or near danger but they had to turn around and go back to Oak Grove. 

The scout leaders were in touch with the parents and so Bryan knew that Ethan would be home Wednesday to reapply and then go back out. Ethan took a break, ate a bunch of food and then the scouts went to Kolib Reservoir (near where I was!) to spend Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 

They swam, played, fished and had fun. Ethan got the award for the first fish caught and the biggest fish caught. He ended up having a great time.

I had a bit of a panic attack when, during rotations at girls camp on Wednesday, I was told that the scouts were helicopter evacuated from their hike. But I figured Bryan would have it all under control. I had no idea Ethan was so close to where I was camping!


No comments: