Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Masks

We are required to wear face masks at work when we aren't able to physically distance from other people.  I have a really tiny office that EVERYONE seems to walk through (it's a shortcut to the bathroom and the faculty room).  I can take my mask off when I am alone in the office (the counselors can shut their doors and be physically distanced) but when someone comes in I have to put my mask on pretty quickly.  I shut the door to try and stop people but the teacher's contracts start this week and I can already tell that they aren't going to care if the door is shut or not. It's a pain and I hate it but it is what it is.

The daughter of one of the counselors is a graphic designer who works at DSU.  She was making masks for the college and decided to make some for us too. We figured that, with the masks on, the students aren't really going to know who we are, so she put our names on one of the masks.  The other one she made for us just has the school logo.  I decided I'm going to have to up my eye make up game since that's all people are really going to see. haha!


This mask is from the State of Utah and it's HUGE!  When I talk it falls down so it drives me nuts but at least I don't suffocate.

I really hope we get over this soon and can get rid of the precautions.  The Governor's mask order in schools is effective through December 31, 2020, at which time they will re-evaluate (unless they re-evaluate it sooner, which is what we are all hoping). Infection numbers in Utah are really low and, today, we only have 6 people in the hospital in St. George. We have a lot more who have recovered than who are sick and we only had 1 death today and it was a female over 84 years of age who was in a long term care facility.

The 1918 flu epidemic made it illegal to not wear a mask and masks were required for a period of around 6 months. Interesting to look back at history.

No comments: