Tuesday, May 26, 2009

He's on the Chart!

Ethan had his 7 year old check-up today and things went great. He is actually on the chart now for the first time since he was a week old!!

For those of you who don't know what "the chart" is, let me enlighten you. When you go in to have your child checked, the doctor plots their height and weight on a growth chart for their age group and compare them to all other kids their age. Then the doctor tells you what "percentage" your child falls into. This is a great conversation starter at the park and give us moms just one more thing to be stressed about. I have a love/hate relationship with the growth chart. I love it because I get to see how my kids are growing but I hate it because of the comparisons with other children and how moms dwell on it.

Anyway, back to the story. When Ethan was one week old he was in something like the 40th percentile. But at all his other appointments he has been off the chart for both height and weight. This time he was actually on the chart! He has lost weight in the last year but has grown inches, so it makes him in the 98th percentile for height and the 94 percentile for weight. I was pretty darn happy! He is such a healthy kid that I'm really not worried, but it's fun to see how he has grown over the years.

No comments: