Courtney has been after me to paint her room purple for a long time now. Finally, on Monday I decided it was time to do it for her. Bryan was home for Memorial Day so I had help. I ran to Home Depot with a pillow sham from her comforter set and they matched the purple color she wanted. I had decided that an accent wall in purple would be just the thing, so I bought a quart of paint and then some paint for the ceiling (I want white ceilings to go along with the nicely painted rooms). The kids helped Bryan and me paint the wall (actually, after about 5 spills and a bunch of drips, I sent them all out of the room and finished the wall myself). Then Bryan painted the ceiling for me. I did have to go back to Home Depot for some more paint. I bought a cheaper brand of paint that was on sale and it turned out to be junk. I took it back, got a refund and bought some Behr paint (what I usually use) instead and it worked great, but Bryan still had to do 2 coats on the ceiling, poor guy!
While Bryan painted the ceiling, Ethan and I refinished an old dresser a neighbor gave us. She was going to throw it out and called to see if I wanted it. Ethan sanded down the drawers while I sanded the dresser body. Then I stained the dresser while Ethan stained the drawers. After it was dry, I shellacked the whole thing and let it dry. I sanded it one more time just to give it a rough look and it was finished. I just have to buy knobs because they were mostly missing when we got it. But I think it turned out great.
We finally got Courtney out of a crib and into a "big girl bed" I bought from craigslist.com. The frame has been sitting downstairs for about 6 months and the mattresses have been there for about 3 months, so it's about time. The stain on the dresser almost matches the bed, so I'm pretty happy.
I still have to put pictures up on the walls, make curtains and clean out her closet. I need to do the closet when Bryan can take her to the park for an hour so she doesn't know how much I get rid of, so it will probably be next week. But I think it turned out really well. The only complaint from Courtney is that I didn't paint all the walls purple, oh well.
I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here is the after:
No comments:
Post a Comment