Last year we took Bryan for a hike on the Saturday before Father's Day as his gift. He loved it so this year we decided to make it into a camping trip. It's warm in St. George (although we are way below normal so it's been really nice weather this month) so we wanted to go into the mountains. We didn't get on the ball and make a reservation for Pine Valley so I found a spot that Bryan and I had scouted out for Girl's Camp last November. It's called Oak Grove and it's only 16 miles from our house, as the crow flies, but over an hour drive on bumpy, dirt roads. I was nervous that we wouldn't get a camp site, so the kids and I went up on Thursday afternoon and got the last spot open for the weekend! It was a great spot too...secluded but near a bathroom (not flush though). Courtney, Ethan and I put up the tent and then went back home.
Friday we did our normal things and Bryan came home from work a little early. We finished loading the van, bought KFC (Bryan's choice) and then drove to Oak Grove. It's beautiful up there because it is so green with A TON of trees, but the road leaves something to be desired. It's one lane most of the way and makes me really nervous, but we did okay.
Courtney had been sick all day long (she had an allergy-induced ear infection) so she was on medication and kind of out of it. She slept all day Friday and was pretty out of it. She talked a lot in her sleep and just didn't feel well. She slept all night and this morning woke up feeling fine. It actually was kind of nice to have her asleep most of the time because she can be a handfull in the woods...she has a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE fear of any bug and screams very loudly when she encounters one.
Anyway, Ethan had a great time helping Bryan make the fire, listening to Harry Potter and being in the outdoors. Finally we went to bed and slept really well. It was a great temperature up there. During the day it was in the high 70s and at night it was 60!!
We woke up, made another fire, had breakfast and then went on our annual hike. Courtney was still pretty worn out from being sick so she rode on Bryan's shoulders most of the hike up, but it was fun. The hike took us from Oak Grove to the boundary lines for the Pine Valley wilderness area. It was a steep hike but the kids did great. Courtney was done when we got to the sign saying "Pine Valley" but Ethan wasn't finished. So I carried Courtney back down the mountain while Ethan and Bryan continued up. They didn't go too far but they had a lot of fun.
Courtney and I made it down in good time, went back to camp and laid down to take naps. When the boys came back, we broke camp and went back home. It was a fun campout and we can't wait for our next one...next month is Bryce Canyon (I will be there for Girl's Camp one week and the next week I'll be there with my family!!).
Here are our photos of the Father's Day campout:
No comments:
Post a Comment