Thursday, February 4, 2010

Love is in the Air!

February is pretty hilarious around our house. Last year, Ethan's 1st grade teacher had them write love notes all the time to their family. He really got into it and we had a different message on our pillow each night.

This year, he is just doing it on his own. He made love notes last night for Courtney, Bryan and me. His only break down was when he couldn't figure out how to cut out a "good heart" from the pink paper (he is his own worst critic). Once he mastered that, it was all fun and games. And it has now rubbed off on Courtney. She made a love note and taped it to Ethan's bedroom door this morning. It's been fun to watch them.

But...I figured something out. Experts say that you express your love to others in the same manner in which you would like love expressed to you. So I decided to try it with Ethan. He was having a rough morning and wasn't cooperating very well (translation: he got mouthy with me). So while he was grumping around his bedroom (and yes, "grumping" is a word in our house), I made him a little heart valentine and wrote how much I love him on it. Then I hid it among his piano books. He came out of his room, all upset that he had to practice. I left him alone while he worked on his first book and then when he switched to the other book there was a long pause. I finally peeked in and he was sitting at the piano, the valentine in his hand and a huge smile on his face. He saw me and ran to give me a big hug and then had a great morning (meaning he practiced with a smile and loved it). Ummm...there might be something to this.

Courtney also has had a wedding proposal already this month. So love is in the air in preschool too. There's a little boy in our neighborhood who we carpool with. He's cute and a fun kid. I picked them up from preschool yesterday and he ran to the car and said, "Courtney, you won! I'm going to marry you!" Courtney's face lit up and she said, "Great!" He then said, "I did eenie-meanie-miney-mo (or however you spell it) between you, Belle and McKindry and you won!" Courtney said, "Great!" Then they talked about what they would be having for lunch.

Ahh, don't you just love February?!

No comments: