Friday, March 19, 2010

Glasses!

Yesterday afternoon Ethan, Courtney and I went to our eye doctor appointments. We haven't had very good success finding an eye doctor that we like, so we were hoping this would be the one.

The kids loved the place. The assistants were so nice and the tests were actually pretty fun...so much so that Ethan asked them to do an extra test that they were, originally, only going to perform on me. It was a bit of a wait, but they had a kids room with all kinds of toys that the kids were able to play in.

Ethan was up first and he did a great job!! I was so impressed with how well he sat up and all the questions he asked. He has had glasses for reading, but hasn't really worn them much. I have been noticing, especially at Disneyland, that he is squinting a lot more and now we know why. His old prescription, from last June, is way off in one eye. So he gets new glasses.

Then it was my turn. I had Lasic about 10 years ago and my vision has been great until the last few years. I have noticed that it has been declining and last year I went to the doctor and tried to get contacts. The doctor never could find a pair that would give me good vision, so I bought some cheap-o glasses online and have been using them for reading and piano playing. With the tests run by this new doctor, we found out that my eyes are basically healthy but I have thinning corneas (not good) and high pressure in the eye (which could be a precursor to glaucoma). So I have eye drops each night and another appointment in 3 weeks. Ah, the joys of genes! ;) Yes, I blame my family for this one! ;)

Courtney was up last and her exam was started while I was in the other room having tests done of my eyes. She did great too!! The doctor found that she is far sighted (something I have NO understanding of) and that her eyes are not working as well together as they should because focusing on things close up is difficult and her eyes fight over who should be dominant. If we don't get her glasses she will develop a lazy eye. So...Courtney got glasses too! Her glasses will be bifocals so the only part that will have a prescription will be the middle part so she can see close up. She was so excited.

We didn't have time last night to order the glasses (the appointment took 1 1/2 hours longer than it was supposed to) so we went back today and the kids picked out what they wanted. They look pretty cute, if you ask me. They will be here in about 7 days. Courtney's may take longer since they are bifocals, but we're hoping they come soon because she is super excited.

Ethan watched TV while Courtney was fitted for her glasses.



No comments: