The kids wanted me to buy them a Zhu Zhu Pet (if you don't know, those are little hamster-like toys that roll around and make noises). I told them "no" so they decided to take matters into their own hands.
On Wednesday, Courtney spent all afternoon getting her toys together that she wanted to sell at a yard sale in front of our house. Then she took her little table, umbrella, toys and a sign outside and waited...and waited...and waited. After 30 minutes of sitting there and no one coming by, she closed up shop. (It was during school so there wasn't anyone to come by but she wouldn't listen to me!)
On Thursday, Courtney decided to try again. She put out her little table, umbrella and toys and waited...then the bus came and so all the kids saw what she was selling. Ethan thought this was a great idea, so he went inside and asked me to help him grab everything he wanted to sell. Soon, we had a bunch of neighborhood kids selling/buying things in front of our house. The kids were in heaven.
I was in heaven, too. See, when the kids go outside and are busy, I can purge their rooms of all the junk they have accumulated. After an hour, I had cleared out 2 garbage bags of junk (papers, old toys, etc.) from Courtney's room and 1 garbage bag from Ethan's. I had also gone through their closets and gotten rid of another 2 garbage bags of old clothes (I gave Courtney's to a friend in the neighborhood and Ethan's went to DI).
I usually try to do this while they are at school, but this time I thought it would be best if they had a part in the process. It was great!! Their room were so clean...for a couple of hours. But still, I felt like I had done something great.
After 2 hours of yard sale, Ethan had made $7.00 and Courtney had made $5.00. They sold all the toys for 25 cents, so they sold a ton of stuff. What they didn't sell went directly into the back of the van and was dropped at DI on Friday afternoon...the same time we went to Walmart so they could buy Zhu Zhu Pets. I figure I won because we got rid of 20 toys and only got back 2! Yeah!!
I told them they could have a yard sale anytime they wanted.
No comments:
Post a Comment