Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Type A Personality

We have a trip scheduled for the end of June/beginning of July.  We will be going to a family reunion in Oregon via some national parks and Sacramento and then coming home via San Francisco and LA.  It isn't for another 3 1/2 weeks but I have EVERYTHING planned out.  I spend about 30 minutes a couple times a week looking for deals and activities to do.

I have our mileage and driving time charted with maps and directions to each campground/hotel we are staying in along with projected gas prices.  I have figured out each activity (with the exception of Oregon because that's a family reunion and anything can go) with prices and have even bought tickets to everything with discounts I found online and made camping/hotel reservations.  And all this information is printed out and put nicely in page protectors in a folder that is just waiting for us to leave on vacation.  It was when I was figuring out food and which hotel gives us breakfast and which doesn't that a friend called.  She asked what I was doing and so I told her.  Luckily she knows me well enough and just laughed.

Did you know that other people DON'T do this?!?!  I had a good laugh with her because she is so "fly by the seat of your pants" that they figure things out when they get there.

According to wikipedia, if you are a Type A personality you are "rigidly organized...push yourself with deadlines...[and] obsessed with time-management."

I guess they have me pegged!  But luckily I know I'm like this and can laugh about it, most of the time.  Bryan told me that we would be "spontaneous" for one part of the trip.  We tried this before and to us this means not making reservations until the week of the activity!  Daring, aren't we?!  hahaha

Some missionaries go on missions and have to learn to stick to a schedule.  I went on my mission to learn to relax about my schedule.  The people in Guatemala did things on their own time.  Church routinely began 20 minutes late because no one was there on time.  It drove me nuts for the first few months but then I realized something.  Not everyone is like me.  And that's okay.  I just have to keep reminding myself of that.  ;)

No comments: