Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book Club - Week 2

This week we read 2 books for the book club Courtney does with her friends.  The first one was called "Journey" and is about a little girl who is lonely so she uses her red crayon to draw a door that leads to another world where she helps a purple bird and finds a boy who is also lonely and draws with a purple crayon.  It's a cute book without any words so the girls were able to tell me what they thought was happening.

On doing research for activities to do with the book, I found the author's website where he told of how he came up with the idea and the process he went through to make the book.  I thought it was interesting to we watched it.  Here it is if you want to see it yourself:



Then we read "Count the Monkeys" which really doesn't have any monkeys in it because they are all scared off by other characters.  It was a great book that the girls really liked.  Usually I let them each read a page of the book but I was able to find a youtube video of the author reading the book himself and he was great.  So we watched the video while I held up the book so they could see the pictures better.  Here is the video from youtube:



When we were finished reading and watching, they filled out the Barnes & Noble summer reading guide.  When they read 8 books they can return the guide to Barnes & Noble and get a free book.  There are 4 or 5 books to choose from.  All the girls have to do is write the name of the book, the author and then explain to whom they would recommend the book and why.  I keep these each week and when they have it all fileld out I will send it home with a brief synopsis of the free books and their parents can take them to get their book. Then they did a monkey activity where the girls had to put together a wheel and then count the monkeys.  It was fun.  I can't believe how fast the time flew by!

No comments: