Courtney's prom dress needed a few modifications. It was too long and it was a bit too big in the middle. I thought they would be simple fixes, and they weren't too bad, but the lace made it tricky. I had to find a natural point where I could bring up the lace on the hem. There was a pattern to the lace so I didn't want to make a seam where it wouldn't be natural to the pattern. I had to figure out where it would look the best and then hand sew the hem so it would look okay. I then had to take up the lining fabric so the lace could hang over the top but not too much. It took a long time to figure out and get it to look okay. I had to unpick it once but then I was able to get it to look nice.
I also was able to make a couple of tucks in the back of the dress to bring in the waist a little so it would fit more snugly. That wasn't a hard part and it ended up looking like it was meant to have tucks in the back.
I also hemmed Hayley's dress for her too. She came over, tried it on, I pinned it where I thought it should be, and then I spent a day hand sewing her hem also because she had really delicate fabric too.
It's times like this when I'm grateful my mom taught us to sew. I have tried to teach Courtney but she just isn't interested at all. Someday she may regret that!
No comments:
Post a Comment