Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Apricots

Monday morning my dad and I went to the Church farm in Hurricane and picked the extra apricots. They announced in Sacrament Meeting that they were finished picking at the farm and canning apricots at the cannery. Bryan helped at the farm and at the cannery, so Dad and I went out to pick some extras. There were quite a few people out there doing the same thing. I brought home 2 bushel baskets full of apricots and 2 laundry detergent buckets full. I did the domstic thing yesterday and bottled 14 quarts of apricot halves and 9 pints of jam....and I haven't made much of a dent in the baskets. I ran out of bottles, so now I have to wait for my parents to bring some more over. I started making some fruit leather, but it is 65% humidity and so it isn't drying quickly. I also heated the house up pretty nicely. Outside was in the 90s and our house was almost as hot. I don't know why fruit has to ripen and needs to be bottled during the hottest part of the summer. Hopefully I can get all the jam and bottles done today.

1 comment:

Ben and Kimberly McEvoy said...

apricots look good. nectar is one of the best kept secrets of the world in my opinion