I usually go grocery shopping at the beginning of the month and get all the necessary ingredients for dinners all month long. I make a menu and buy according to that menu, but I've found that we use up ingredients meant for dinners closer to the end of the month on things at the beginning of the month. For example: shredded cheese for tacos ends up being used on cheese sandwiches and doesn't make it long enough for taco night. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and decided to change that.
I went grocery shopping at 8 a.m., was home by about 10 a.m., we went bike riding until 11:30, then Bryan took the kids to soccer practice. When they left I got to work! I made the following dinners, put them in seal-a-meal bags and froze them for dinners this month: 2 pizzas, 2 beef stew mixes, 1 chicken pot pie, 1 chicken soup mix, 1 chicken cordon bleu, 1 swiss steak, and 2 lasagnas. I still have to do fajitas, taco mix (with packets of cheese along with it), spaghetti mix and some cooked chicken to throw on salads for lunch. But that shouldn't take too much time. It actually was great and went fast (only about 3 1/2 hours to do all that)! I saved time because the stew and soup mixes I just put the vegetables in with the meat and spices and then I will add water to it when I pop it in the crock pot on the soup night.
I bought some easy side dishes and stuff to make salads (which I have to buy weekly) but it made my life so much easier. I just take it out to thaw in the morning, pop it in the oven or crock pot and I'm good. I am going to do some research on freezing baked potatoes, etc. and see if I can save time on that one too, but I'm not sure it would work.
Yeah, time saver for me!
2 comments:
I really want to learn how to freeze meals. It would save us so much time, but I don't know how to do it. I'm sure it isn't hard but just don't know how. :)
Good for you!
Post a Comment