Ethan wants to do a kids triathlon next month so we wanted to give him a taste of how long a mile was to run. He was a bit nervous that he would get lost and not know which way to run, but we kept assuring him that he would figure it out.
The course is a new one this year due to construction on the old course. I knew it was going to be hilly because Ethan's former piano teacher lives in the area of the race, but I didn't realize just how hilly.
When we got over to the race site we met up with my parents and Kathy and Don who would be there to cheer us on.

The 5K and 10K races began at the same time at 9 a.m. and then the walk began at 9:10. The 5K was a loop around and the 10K was the same loop, just repeated a second time to make up the distance. The beginning was downhill and great. I made some great time...until the uphill hit. I am not good on hills but I kept going. Around mile 2 1/2 we began the really large hill. Bryan was finished running with the kids so he jumped on the course and ran the last bit with me. I was dying but he got me up the hill and then I took a little 1/2 block break to get my wind back. The rest wasn't too bad and I ended up with the time of 34:42.7 (my Swiss Days time was 34:35). I kick myself for walking because I must have been making really good time to get up all those hills, walk and only be 7 seconds behind my flat-course-Swiss-Days time. I did have to sprint at the end though because there was one woman I wasn't going lose to and I could tell she was right behind me.
I then found out that the kids did a GREAT job. They waited with Bryan and my Dad at the start and then they took off.

Getting ready to start:

We don't have pictures of Ethan because he was way too fast. He claims to have walked a couple of times, but his official finishing time was 9:19 and was 2nd place overall in his division (Mens 1-99). Bryan stayed with Courtney a lot of the time and she ran a good race.
Here is Courtney starting out:

After a while, Bryan convinced Courtney to walk with Grandpa and he took off after Ethan. Bryan finished in 11:12 and Courtney's time was 14:45. Not shabby!
Then they met up with my parents to watch for me and Bryan joined me.
Ethan is now addicted to running races and can't wait for the triathlon next month!
2 comments:
I am so bummed that I couldn't come and run it with you. I was running all week in your hilly St. George and would have loved it. Way to go and I still hope to join you on another race!
Yeah Michelle!!!
Post a Comment