Tuesday, October 18, 2011

For FHE tonight we talked about being a light of Christ. I had found a really cool craft online the other day and it fit the lesson really well. (http://www.candletech.com/techniques-and-ideas/water-balloon-luminaries/) I bought some microwavable candle wax at Michael's then filled up a bunch of grenade water balloons we had left over from a birthday party.Link
After we talked about being a light of Christ, we melted the wax and dipped the water balloons. You need to be careful to keep the wax below the water line or the balloon will pop. We dipped a couple of times and then let them sit to harden. We repeated dipping quite a few times then let them sit over night to harden.

This morning we held the balloons over the sink, upside down, and cut the top off them. After the water drained out we carefully used our fingers to peel the balloon away from the hardened wax. They turned out really well. We are going to put candles in them and set them around our front porch on Halloween night to guide the trick-or-treaters.

We were thinking that this may become a Halloween and Christmas tradition because the kids loved it and it was a fun activity to do. Next time I think I'll buy some candle dye so they will be a different color. I also think we'll hold up the balloons for longer after dipping so the extra wax will drip off and not pool around the bottom. And I think we'll use bigger balloons so the lanterns are bigger.

No comments: