Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Dress

Courtney wanted me to sew her baptism dress. I was a bit nervous because she never likes the dresses I sew for her and always say they are "too itchy!" I figured I would spend all this time making the dress and she wiuld never wear it (see every Easter dress I have ever made her for reference).  But we looked all over for a dress pattern that met all if her requirements: not itchy and not poofy!

We found a pattern where the dress was lines so it wouldn't be itchy. We found some heavier material that would make the dress not poofy (which was on a really good sale so it ended up being a very inexpensive dress!). I found some soft toile that would give a bit of body to the dress but wouldn't make it stick out and poof. I also left a couple of the toile layers put so it would lay flatter. Can you tell that "poof" is a major no-no in a dress for Courtney?!

I had to get it done this week because she has pictures next week for her baptism invite and i wasn't sure how long it would take me to sew. So I cut it all out on Tuesday and then spent Wednesday sewing it up. I had major stress on the zipper but my mom came over and gave me some advice and I got it sewn ok.

Courtney tried it on and LOVED it!! It isn't itchy or poofy. Yeah for me...now she wants me to make her more. ;)

Here it is:
Here is the happy girl:
She told me today that when she grows out of the dress she wants to save it for her daughter. Aahhhh.

No comments: