Ethan had his yearly "growth check" with the orthodontist today. Last time we went in, the orthodontist told us that it would probably be this year that Ethan needed to have braces put on. I was expecting it so when we went in and Ethan had his teeth looked at, I wasn't surprised when the orthodontist told me that we needed to start ASAP.
Ethan has a really big overbite. Because of this, his bottom front teeth hit the gums behind his upper front teeth. Does that makes sense? It wasn't a big deal last year but this year there is an indentation on his upper gums, behind his front two teeth, from his lower teeth. Last year Ethan had a blister that developed in that spot that caused him quite a bit of pain. The orthodontist feels like his bite needs to be corrected before any permanent damage can happen to his upper gums behind his front teeth. He still has 2 teeth to lose but they are "hanging on by a thread" and should come out in the next week. The permanent teeth above them are growing out to the side (so he has a couple of double teeth, like a shark!) so they aren't helping push the baby teeth out. But they won't pose a problem in starting treatment.
Ethan is actually pretty excited to get braces (mostly because they have colored rubber bands so you have colored braces that you can change the color of each 6 weeks). The orthodontist has an incentive program where, if you brush and take care of your braces like you should (and do a few other things), you can earn an Ipad mini by the time you get your braces off. He also has swim parties, gave the kids a free t-shirt and gives them a free electric toothbrush when they get their braces on. They wanted to put the braces on tomorrow and Ethan was all for it but I needed more time to adjust. He will have them on in time for David and Jenny's wedding though, so he can "show them off."
The hygienist came in to grab Ethan to start his "records." I wasn't sure what that entailed but they told me that he would be fine and that it was included in the price. "It's just x-rays and stuff." So I signed all the consent forms while they did his "x-rays and stuff."
When I finished up, they told me I could go find Ethan. He was in a chair and the hygienist was getting ready to do his impressions. I was REALLY NERVOUS for the impressions part. When I was a kid this was HORRIBLE! It seemed like the putty stuff they used was going down my throat and I was going to choke and die. I remember Leigh Ann having a really hard time with impressions so I was afraid for Ethan. He has a very strong gag reflex and I knew it was going to be trouble.
Things have slightly improved. They have flavorings for the putty stuff. Ethan chose cookie dough. They have smaller trays and the stuff sets up a lot quicker than it used to. Even with all that, Ethan still had a rough time with the top teeth.
The hygienist put the gunk in his mouth and he started to gag...really badly. It was probably good that it was before lunch but late morning because his tummy was empty. She had him lift his left leg and then switch and lift his right leg. I couldn't figure out why she was having him do that so I asked. She said it is a distraction tool and makes them think of something else. It worked for Ethan! The impression came out "ok" so they didn't make it do it again but it wasn't the greatest.
The bottom impression wasn't so bad because the tray was a lot smaller than the top and his tongue was a buffer so he didn't feel like he was swallowing the putty. He still lifted up his legs though to distract himself. But he did great!!!
With that finished, we loaded back in the van and drove home. The aftertaste of the flavoring wasn't the best so Ethan found a piece of gum to chew but other than that, he is excited to get braces.
The orthodontist also looked at Courtney's teeth and she will need braces but he doesn't think she will have them put on until she is a teenager. And she is missing teeth so he said this will give us time to get Ethan out of braces and figure out if we want her to have implants or what. Our poor kids and their teeth!!
No comments:
Post a Comment