Saturday was Ethan's friend birthday party. He wanted a detective party so Bryan and I went all out to invent games and a mystery for the detectives to solve. We made up an invitation asking the secret agents to come to special training at our house, complete with a password for entry. Ethan was so excited that all day long he kept asking when it was time for the party.
While they were outside doing their games, my parents and I hid Ethan's presents. I printed out certificates of completion for their detective training and Bryan handed those out when the games were finished. Then the real fun began.
While the boys were getting water, I put a note (written in invisible ink) on the floor where the presents had been. Then Bryan asked the guests to go and get their presents for Ethan to open. They were shocked when the gifts were gone but saw the piece of paper and realized they were on a hunt for presents. Ethan grabbed the paper and immediately ran to his detective kit. He got out his invisible ink pen and they saw the clue. The clue was a poem and sent them to the house of one of Ethan's guests. Like a flash the boys were off on a mystery! I ran behind them and Bryan rode Ethan's scooter to catch up.
When the secret agents arrived, we fingerprinted them, took their mug shot and then made them an ID card to hang around their neck. Courtney wanted one too.



While I did their ID cards, Bryan showed them and trained them on what was in their detective kits. They had an invisible ink pen, decoder, flashlight, disguise kit with sunglasses and mustaches, notebook and pencil, and a bunch of other detective things. They picked up on the decoder and the invisible ink pen really quickly and had a lot of fun. Then they all went into the backyard and went through disguise training where they had to put on a disguise and run down the lawn and back in a relay. Then they had to go through an obstacle course where they attacked a punch bag at the end. It was tons of fun for them.

While they were outside doing their games, my parents and I hid Ethan's presents. I printed out certificates of completion for their detective training and Bryan handed those out when the games were finished. Then the real fun began.
While the boys were getting water, I put a note (written in invisible ink) on the floor where the presents had been. Then Bryan asked the guests to go and get their presents for Ethan to open. They were shocked when the gifts were gone but saw the piece of paper and realized they were on a hunt for presents. Ethan grabbed the paper and immediately ran to his detective kit. He got out his invisible ink pen and they saw the clue. The clue was a poem and sent them to the house of one of Ethan's guests. Like a flash the boys were off on a mystery! I ran behind them and Bryan rode Ethan's scooter to catch up.They ran to a neighbor's house where they got a clue written in tiny letters. They had to use their magnifying glasses to read it. That clue sent them to another guest's house.

The third clue told them to put on their mustaches, go to another house, knock three times, and say the code word "molasses." They looked so cute in their mustaches!
They ran to the Primary President's house and she had the final clue to send them back to our house. She opened the door with her own mustache on, the boys loved it!! I'll put a video on of her clue because it's great (you may have to turn the sound up).
The boys all ran back to our house and in the backyard was a table with Ethan's cake and birthday presents on it. We lit the candles, had cake and ice cream, and then Ethan opened all his presents. The boys all had a great time.


We took Ethan out for a birthday dinner. He got to pick anywhere and he picked "Old McDonalds." He just wanted the Speed Racer toy.
2 comments:
You're so clever! What a cool party!
Woah, that sounds like the party of the century. My only complaint is that I didn't get to go!!! Fake mustaches and decoders? I missed out. Happy Birthday Ethan, you're now mentally older than your dad and I (hee, hee!), 'cuz you KNOW it was as much fun or more for dad to put that together! Nice job guys, those kids look like they'll remember that party for years to come.
Post a Comment