Friday, May 9, 2008

It's broken

It started off as a fun family outing. Bryan had soccer practice at the park for our ward team so we decided to all ride our bikes 1 1/2 miles to the park. We put the tag-along on the back of Bryan's bike for Ethan and loaded Courtney into the bike trailer attached to my bike. It was a fun ride and we got there in time for Bryan to warm up with the other men and young men. Ethan snagged all the balls that missed the net while Courtney and I played peek-a-boo and in the mud around the bleachers. We were having a lot of fun being outside in the nice weather.

Another church team was there practicing so the two wards set up a scrimage game. Ethan was itching to get into the game so about 3/4 of the way through Bryan let Ethan go in. Ethan really isn't afraid to get in there with the big guys. Here's a video of him playing. He's the short kid with blue shorts and a red/white shirt on.



After I took the video I wasn't really paying attention to the game. Courtney and I were playing peek-a-boo and so I had a blanket over my head. But I heard a voice say, "Michelle, don't worry about the kids and the bikes, we'll take care of everything. But you need to get Bryan to the hospital. He's broken his nose." I thought they were kidding. There wasn't any blood and Bryan was walking toward me just fine. But they assured me that it was broken and when I saw Bryan's face I knew they were serious.

Our next-door neighbor was on his moped, so another neighbor loaded the kids into his car while our neighbor followed him back to our house. The kids went to the neighbors house and were ready for a sleep-over. Courtney walked into their house and said, "Sister Dransfield, we're having a sleep-over and I'm sleeping in Jens' room!" Jens is their son who is a year older than Courtney. Then the two men got their trucks, went back to the park and brought our bikes back to our house. What great neighbors we have!

I took a picture of Bryan's crooked, broken nose at the park before it started to swell up. Then we got a ride to our house from someone, got an ice pack and took our van to the Urgent Care by our house. They told us they don't do facial x-rays and to go to the ER. So we drove across town to the ER.

There weren't many people there when Bryan was checked in. The admitting nurse asked Bryan if he had finally gotten too sassy with me and I had given it to him. He told her that he had stepped on a rake. After a good laugh, she asked what had really happened and Bryan told her an "elbow to the face during soccer." She told us to have a seat in an admitting room. The next nurse didn't get Bryan's "I stepped on a rake" joke and got a shocked look on her face when he said it. I had to quickly tell her that it was a soccer accident. We had a good laugh at that. Then we were told to go back into the waiting room until a doctor called Bryan back. We thought it would be a while before he would be called back so I called my parents and asked them to meet me at our house and I drove back to Ivins.

I picked the kids up from the neighbors. Ethan was releaved but Courtney wanted to sleep-over. But once I told them Grandma and Grandpa were coming, they ran to our house! I got the kids ready for bed, did our normal night routine and waited for Bryan to call. I was reading Courtney her story when he called to say he was finished and would be waiting for me outside the hospital. Ethan told me that he hoped Bryan wouldn't have two black eyes because Fathers and Sons is Friday and he was nervous they wouldn't be able to go.

I expected Bryan to look all strange when I picked him up with a sling on his nose or something, but he came out looking normal, except for his crooked nose. The ER doctor said that if they called an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor at the hospital to look at Bryan that Bryan would be told to wait 3-5 days for the swelling to go down and then go in and see the ENT doctor. So the ER doctor probed Bryan's face to make sure nothing else was broken, gave him an ice pack and sent him on his way. It was a quick ER visit!

So now, I need to call Ethan's Ear, Nose and Throat doctor and make an appointment for Bryan to see what he can do. Bryan's hoping the doctor can fix his nose and get it straight again. Ethan says he likes Daddy's nose crooked. He's just excited that they are still going to Father's and Sons tonight!

What an interesting family outing!

4 comments:

Ethan said...

I know, I know, most of you are saying it really doesn't look any different than it used to. It's been crooked most of my life as the result of at least one earlier break (I'm sure it was some cheap shot from behind by Ben in football). However, it never looked that crooked. I knew it was broken when I felt around it and felt the cartilege crunching around. Maybe now the doctor can set it straight.

Mike and Lisa said...

That is so sick Bryan!!

Sandy said...

I really shouldn't be laughing...but I kind of am...nice crooked nose:)

Ben and Kimberly McEvoy said...

There are 2 flaws to your argument Bryan. The first is the most obvious. I ran a 5.1 40 yard dash and you ran a 4.7 or something. No way I could catch you from behind. Secondly, I was too wimpy to play defense, which is the only way I would have been chasing you. So nice try.

Now, if you want to say I dunked on you, that might be possible, still not likely. Which reminds me. I still remember your Dad calling a technical for hanging on the rim in church ball after a dunk. Bro. Pack, do you remember that?

Anyway, crooked or straight, its just a nose, you will look more like Rocky if you leave it that way.