Saturday, January 17, 2009

Making EASY Carmel

I saw this posted on the internet and didn't believe it. But then Bryan and I went through our food storage and we had a few cans of Sweetened and Condensed Milk that were going to expire soon, so I thought I would try it. This is the EASY way to make carmel (like what you would pour on ice cream or dip apples in).

Take as many cans as you want of Sweetened and Condensed Milk and take their labels off. Put the unopened cans in a pot (I did 2 cans at a time in a small pot, but you could do a bunch at a time in a larger pot) and cover the cans completely with water. Turn the heat on and wait for the water to boil. Turn the heat down until the water is at a continual simmer. Keep the water simmering for 3 hours (you need to add more water every 20-30 minutes so the cans are always covered with water). Let them cool a bit and then use a can opener and you will see that the Sweetened Condensed Milk has changed to carmel...good carmel.

The site I read said that the woman gives these out to neighbors at Christmas time with a bag of apples. She had a cute label to go along with it. It's an easy thing to do and, as one of my friends pointed out, could be a good science project.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hey this is your cousin. I have a random question...once it's made does it stay caramel? Or do you have to use it fairly quickly? Do you store it in your fridge? I think I'll try this. I love caramel!

Michelle Pack said...

It does stay caramel once it's made, so I think you could store the unopened ones just as you would the sweetened and condensed milk. I have stored the one I opened in my fridge and it's been great. I love it.

Hey, do you have a blog?

Heather said...

I'm thinking about it but no blog yet. I'll let you know when I've finally caved:)