Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Payson Temple, UVU, Seven Peaks, BYU, Minions, Trafalga and Family Night

When Courtney and I woke up and had breakfast we were planning on going to Seven Peaks.  The boys had been there while we were at SOF rehearsals so we thought it was only fair that we would go while they were at scout camp.  We have the Pass of All Passes (cue the angelic music) so we could get in at 10 a.m. but it was still early.

So we went down and walked around the Payson Temple grounds.  It is a beautiful temple..as they all are.  It was great to walk around and feel the calm that was on the grounds.  It was especially nice after the loud noise of the storm the night before.



After walking around for a while we still had time to kill.  So we drove to UVU, paid for parking and walked around.  It looks SO different from when I was there.  I can still find my office but the department isn't in those offices anymore.  I can find a few other places but they have remodeled and built new buildings so much that I get easily lost.

Then it was finally time to go to Seven Peaks.  I don't know what Courtney was expecting.  I kept telling her that there were a ton of water slides and a big wave pool, but when she saw it her eyes lit up and she was speechless...a huge thing for a girl who talks all the time!  We parked and then got into line to get in the park.  We showed our passes, had our bag checked, changed our clothes, got our tubes and were off to have fun.

There were quite a few people there but not too many that we couldn't do the rides a lot of times.  And we had 2 hours before it was open to the general public so it was awesome.  At about 12:05 we were in line to go on the Vortex again (I had to force Courtney to go the first time and she had fun so we were going again) when they saw lightening and shut down the rides.  They told us that they would reopen in 30 minutes unless they saw more lightening.  Courtney and I decided that 2 hours was plenty of time to have fun and it was starting to get crowded now that the park was open to everyone.  So we went to turn in our tubes.  While we were turning them in (5 minutes after they closed the park) we were told that "just kidding" they weren't closing the park so we could keep our tubes.  We turned them in anyway but I asked the worker why they would open it again so fast.  He told me that they don't close if they only see lightening.  They close the park if they hear thunder along with the lightening because that means it's close enough to hurt people.

Courtney was really nervous so we decided to just get our stuff and leave.  But then she had a change of heart and wanted to go in the wave pool for a bit.  We got about 5 feet into the wave pool when they shut the park down again...this time definitely.

This was the view (and keep in mind that Maple Dell is right under this huge cloud):

We changed our clothes and then decided to drive to BYU to walk around.  We went to the bookstore where Courtney found this guy:


We had to play with him for a while before we left.

The rain was coming down really hard so we decided we needed something "indoors" to do.  We drove to Provo Towne Center mall and went to the movie.  We saw "Minions."  I have to come clean on this one...I slept through a lot of it.  I have mastered the art of laughing at the right times when I am really asleep.  I can't fool Bryan anymore but I pulled the wool over on Courtney.  She loved the movie but I probably only saw half of it. ;)

When we left the theater there were blue skies so we decided to go back and see if Seven Peaks was open again...it wasn't.  It was a ghost town.  There were only 2 cars in the parking lot and everything was locked up tight.  Crazy weather in Provo.

We still had time to play before going back to camp so we decided to go to Trafalga again.  Courtney rode the froggy drop about 10 times, we rode the rickety roller coaster once (which is plenty for me, thank you very much) and then we went to eat dinner.



Friday nights at Maple Dell are "Family Nights" where the families of the scouts are invited to come to camp for their campfire programs and their patriotic program.  It was a unique experience.  I thought girls camp was weird but scout camp is a beast unto itself.  Someone would say "Let's sing a song" and suddenly everyone would yell "A song, a song, it's time to sing a song!"  Crazy stuff.  But it was fun to be there with all the parents and the boys.  And the patriotic program was amazing.


This is our troop in front of the giant American flag (it has a story behind the flag but I can't remember it).

Then Courtney and I went back to our campsite for the night.  It didn't rain so we slept ok.

No comments: