Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The kids at the dentist

We have been going to a pediatric dentist across town for a few years and I was fine with him but....the last time we went there the dentist told Ethan to "Open like an alligator."  The look on Ethan's face was priceless and he declared that we weren't going back to that guy again!  He was quite insulted that the dentist would treat him like a little kid.

I went on the search for another dentist and decided to try the dentist next to the orthodontist's office.  It is much closer and they were pretty nice.  The kids both had their teeth cleaned.



They found a cavity in Ethan's mouth.  The dentist said it was inevitable because Ethan has a really deep groove in one of his teeth and, even with sealant, it would be really hard to prevent a cavity.  So we made an appointment to go back another day to have it filled.

I prepped Ethan by telling him that they would probably give him a shot and his face would be numb but that it wouldn't hurt too badly.  I was trying to scare him into brushing better.

I took him the dentist for his filling and he was nervous.  He said a prayer before we went that he would be okay...and boy was he!  They didn't numb him up, didn't give him laughing gas or anything.  The dentist just drilled a little bit, talked about hiking and scouts, then filled his tooth without Ethan even realizing what was going on.  When it was over Ethan said, "That's it?" Now what kind of deterrent is that?!?!  When I had my first cavity it scared me so bad that I brushed 4 times a day for weeks.  Ethan walked out saying "That was so easy!  You had me nervous."

Needless to say, he loves the new dentist!

1 comment:

Shelley Pack said...

Wow! That's impressive! Sounds like he has grandma Hodgson's genes. She never had novacaine for dental procedures.