Thursday, April 30, 2009

Backpacking in Zion

When we returned home from Provo, we put the kids to bed and Bryan and I began packing for our backpacking trip. We didn't do too much on Sunday night because we knew we had time on Monday.

Monday morning we frantically got things going. I had to get things ready for Grandma Pack to take the kids for 3 days and I had to get myself packed. Bryan had to get all the food, pack himself and then teach me how to pack a backpack. (Note: In my family, we hike 22 miles in one day so we DON'T HAVE to sleep on the ground. In Bryan's family, they hike 1 mile in one day so they DO HAVE to sleep on the ground.)

Grandma, Grandma, Uncle David and Uncle Andrew finally arrived and, after some last minute packing, we were off. Now, we had originally planned on driving to the trail head of Lava Point. The ranger told us that the road was closed, so Bryan hurriedly found another trail that would meet up with the Lava Point trail but it was going to add about 5 miles to our first day hike. We were already starting late so we weren't excited about that. When we drove up there we didn't see the "3 feet of snow" the ranger had said was there so we kept on driving. At the turn off to go the final couple of miles to the trailhead, the mud and snow stopped us. So we started off a few miles from the trailhead, but less than it would have been if we had taken the alternate trail.

We hiked in snow and mud until we reached camp. We ate dinner, had FHE and went to bed. It was cold and windy, but it wasn't too bad.

Morning came and we ate breakfast, broke camp and were back on the trail. Tuesday was our long day and I was ready for it. We hiked a few hours, took a break for lunch and to filter water and then went on. It was A LOT of uphill and really windy! We had originally planned to stop at Campsite 4. When we reached it we were tired and ready to be there, but since the fires had burned down all the trees and bushes a few years ago, there wasn't any protection from the wind and we were 1 1/2 miles (I think) from water. So after a break, we pressed on until we arrived at Campsite 1. (We didn't have this one reserved so we just had to chance it that no one would be there.)

We filtered water, rested our feet, napped, watched deer (which were a little too friendly for my liking) and then ate dinner. After sharing our original and creative verses to the "We are the Mountain Men" song, we went to bed. I was so tired and fell asleep immediately!

The next morning I was stiff and sore but ready to finish hiking. We ate breakfast, broke camp and started on our last day. I had been up the West Rim trail from the Angel's Landing side, so I had seen this hike from the other direction and started to recognize places I was hiking. We encountered a bit more snow and had to hike through it, but it wasn't bad.

We met a ranger near Scout's Lookout and then we hiked down and took a break. From Angel's Landing to the Grotto wasn't a bad hike but it's all downhill and tough on the toes. But I was so happy to finish. It was a great trip and fun, but it certainly is nice to have a flush toilet again! ;)

A HUGE thanks for Grandma Pack for taking care of Ethan and Courtney while we were gone. She came with a bag full of tricks and they LOVED IT!!

Here are some photos. Dad and Andrew took a bunch too that I'll post when I get them.

No comments: