Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ironman Kids Fun Run

It was time once again for the Ironman St. George. It's pretty exciting and fun to watch. But this year the Ward had Fathers and Sons on Friday night which put a cramp in our Ironman activity plans. Oh well. While they had fun Courtney and I played.

Friday night is the Kid's Fun Run for Ironman. I had registered Courtney and were told to get there early to pick up her packet. So we went about 45 minutes early, got her number, t-shirt and wrist band, then we had a ton of time to wait. There is a made-made kids river to play in so I let her do that while we waited for the race. At 6 p.m. they took all the kids to the starting point. On the way there Courtney turned to me and said, "You can leave now, I'm fine." So I found my parents at the finish line so I could watch. But they did the race differently this time and they let the kids running the mile go first. I was a bit nervous because Courtney was waiting without me but when I checked on her she seemed fine. It took all the mile runners about 20-25 minutes to finish (they had some little kids running that mile) and then it was time for the 200 meter run.

My mom spotted Courtney first but I got a great shot of her running with her tongue hanging out! It's hilarious. But she did a great job and had so much fun. They gave her a plastic medal (the same as last year) and then she went to our pre-arranged meeting place while I ran all over trying to find her. I finally remembered that we had a meeting place and when I got there she was wondering where I had been. ;)

The event had twice as many kids as last year so they ran out of juice/water with the mile runners, so I took Courtney out to dinner. I was going to do this anyway because the boys were at Fathers and Sons and we wanted a "Girl Night" but I let her think it was because she did so well in the run.

What a great event!




1 comment:

Christy said...

Way to go Courtney! My kids are dying to get their first run of the season under their belts.

I wish we had had more time but Brandon and I came your way last weekend and watched the bikers fly by in front of our condo. What a crazy event! I can't even imagine doing one of the legs!