Saturday, June 16, 2012

Emery County

Last weekend was the Oman Family Reunion/Bert Oman 80th Birthday Party in Emery County.  We haven't had an Oman Family Reunion since 1994 so I wanted to go.  I was afraid I wouldn't know anyone or worse, that no one would know me.  But we planned it and were off.

We stayed in cabins at Gilly's in Ferron (the reunion was originally going to be at the park in Ferron).  They weren't bad at all.  We got to Ferron on Friday afternoon, found my parents (their cabin was next door) and went to Huntington to look at the old neighborhood and visit the cemetery.  Things looked A LOT different from the last time we were there.  The old barn behind our house was gone, along with the work shed.  The side and back lawns with the garden area looked like they were completely gone too.  It used to look huge (even 4 years ago when we were back last) but it looked kind of run down now.  I was a bit sad.

The cemetery looked very nice and it was fun to try and explain how everyone was related.  Bryan thought he had it at one point, but then he lost the connections.  Hahaha.

We then went to Price where we were SUPPOSED to eat at China City.  This was our family's very favorite restaurant growing up.  It's where we celebrated birthdays, graduations, good dentist appointments, etc.  I LOVED their moo goo gai pan and haven't found any to top it anywhere.  It would sizzle as they brought it out to you and it was stuffed full of chicken (not mushrooms like they serve in St. George)  They also had these huge shrimp that were to die for!

I looked it up online to make sure they still had moo goo gai pan and there was their menu with the same building showing on their website.  Imagine our complete SHOCK when we showed up to an abandoned building!!  No go for the shrimp or the moo goo gai pan.  I was so upset...so was Ethan who was looking forward to shrimp.

We ended up at Pizza Hut.

Then we drove around the college, which has changed a lot too.  And started back to Ferron, a 40 minute drive.





No comments: