Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My 3rd Counselor

Courtney is such a trooper.  The past 2 days have been absolutely crazy but I have had so many people step in to help, Courtney has been a huge help and Ethan had adapted to everything like a champ.

We had a funeral yesterday in our ward that I had to get ready.  I am an organizational freak so I had check lists of what needed to be done and I had everyone organized last Thursday before we left for our camp out.  I posted the sign up sheets on google docs for women to sign up for food.  I bought hams and potatoes on Saturday afternoon.  Sunday during Sunday School I sent around a sign up sheet for salads/desserts/baking the potatoes and helping at the funeral. The Elder's Quorum put up chairs and tables on Sunday afternoon.  Courtney and I went up on Monday to put on the table clothes and decorate the tables.  We also got everyone out of the Relief Society closet so we wouldn't have to disrupt the viewing to get plates, etc. 

On Tuesday morning Courtney and I ran up to the Church at 9:30 a.m. to start getting things ready.  The viewing was from 9-10:30 with the funeral beginning at 11:00.  I couldn't believe how much help Courtney was to me.  All the women called her my "third counselor" and she was loving it.  She put cups on the tables, helped carry food to the kitchen, etc.  After the funeral, she stayed with the women at the Church while I ran home to get the hams that had been cooking in my oven.  When I got back, she had been busy helping to set things on the table and get things ready for the family to come back. 

She helped serve the food, clean up afterward (she can shake table cloths like a pro) and she vacuumed the floor.  And she did this all without complaining...except when it was 2:00 and she was starving!  Yes, it was a long funeral day.  We went up at 9:30 and got home around 3:30.  But I had so many people helping.  (We had a lot of down time because we had everything organized so there wasn't much to do.  I was grateful to all the woman who stuck around to help for hours.)

Ethan got a ride to basketball skills camp and the same family brought him back to their house afterward and fed him lunch.  Another woman brought out family dinner last night.  I am grateful to those who step up and help.  And they don't even tease me when I give them a check list!  ;)


No comments: