Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Arm

Last Tuesday morning I had the stitches taken out of my arm.  Well, they took the three top stitches out.  I still have 12 that are internal and will dissolve.  But I had a horribly mean nurse!!

The nurse last week, who changed my bandages, was really nice.  She took the surgical tape off very gently and was so careful with the stitches.  She put on some new surgical tape that was "glued" down so I wouldn't rip open the incision with all the movement of my arm.  It stayed on really well.

When I went to have the stitches out, I had a different nurse who, frankly, didn't care about being gentle...and you can tell from the photos.  She carefully pulled off the tape from above the stitches and then she YANKED it down the rest of the way.  I thought she was going to pull out the knot for the stitches!  She not only pulled off the tape but also a bunch of my skin!  Then she applied alcohol!!  When I told her it hurt she stopped but she wasn't very nice about it.  I didn't feel at all bad for her when, a few minutes later, the doctor yelled at her for not attaching the lab report to my file.  Justice.

As you can see from the photo below, the new tape they put on blends right in with my arm so it looks much better.  But you can see all the missing skin (in strips) below the incision point where I was skinned by the nurse.  And, you can see all the glue residue that took days to get off because the skin was raw and I didn't want to rub it too much.

I have to massage the incision point daily and wait for the tape to come off.  But I really don't think it will come off any time soon because the nurse "glued" it on again.  I have been swimming twice and soaked it but it hasn't budged.  So I think in a couple of days I am going to pull it off because it's starting to bug me.


No comments: