Last Sunday I was experimenting with a new carrot cake recipe (I have a wedding cake this month that is a carrot cake, so I thought I should practice). I made the recipe, added a cake extender, poured the batter in a 9x13 pan and put it in the oven. No problem. When the buzzer rang after 30 minutes and I turned on the light in the oven, I froze. The cake had not only overflowed all over the oven, but there was a small little fire happening in my oven. I was talking on the phone and Ethan happened to come in the kitchen right then, saw the fire, began to scream for 911 and went running out the front door. He ran right into Bryan who was coming home from a meeting. I shut the oven door, grabbed some baking soda, opened the oven door and proceeded to dump baking soda on the fire all while still carrying on a conversation on the phone. Bryan just stood there looking at me like I was crazy. I was totally in control!
Anyway, it left a huge mess in my oven. Once it cooled, I cleaned up the charred remains of the spillage and surveyed the damage. I decided I needed to self-clean the oven. But I just hate the smell and the heat that comes from it so I procrastinated. Finally, this morning I did it. It took 4 hours, but you can see the difference.
Before:
After:
Modern conveniences are great!! Lessons learned: 1) don't add an extender to a cake mix that already fills a 9x13 pan, it will always overflow!; 2) talk to children once again about fire safety, both of them are terrified of fires and tend to overreact; and 3) put down the phone while fighting an oven fire if husband is looking on, he may think your nuts!
1 comment:
That reminds me... back to the list of to do's.
Post a Comment