Friday, February 6, 2015

We've Gone Solar!

After a lot of research, talking to 3 different solar companies, and a lot of prodding, we finally decided to go solar.  I have had some guilt with it because they are closing down coal mines in Emery County and my dad worked at the power company for years but ultimately it is what's best for us.

We chose a solar company that we liked the best and signed the paperwork at the end of December.  They spent 3 days at the end of January installing the 26 panels in three different locations on our roof.  It was really loud!  I felt bad for them too because it was raining 2 of those days so they were on the roof in the rain.  There wasn't lightening so I wasn't nervous about that but I was afraid someone would fall off.

The electrical inspection with Ivins City went without a problem and Rocky Mountain Power changed out our electrical box the next day.  We switched it all one and...ask us in 6 months if we're happy or not.  It's only been 3 days so we haven't seen benefits yet and it's been rainy but it's fun to go out and watch the backward arrow show up on our electrical box...not that I go out and check it numerous times a day.

We also have a box inside our house that we can use to monitor the system to see how much we are producing.  They are sending us a website log-in where we can look and see how much each individual panel is producing and keep an eye on things.  I'm sure it will be easy to be obsessive about it but it's kind of fun.  Now my goal is to switch all the light bulbs in the house to be LED so they use less electricity.

Our new electrical box looks a big scary with all the red warning tags all over it!
 See the backward pointing arrow on the left?
 

No comments: