Friday, September 11, 2015

Broken Arm

So, Courtney was so excited about being able to do a back bend that she had to show off for anyone who would watch.  As Kathy and Don were leaving our house after Courtney's birthday party on Sunday, Courtney ran out on the lawn to show them her back bend.  She landed funny and began screaming.  We just played it off, put a bag on ice on it and told her to just sit still for a while.

Now...in our defense, something is ALWAYS hurting on Courtney.  In fact, each night Bryan and I guess which body part she is going to come out complaining about when she should be sleeping.  So there is a history of non-belief.

On Friday Courtney had her 10 year old check up to make sure everything is going well with her.  The doctor asked if I had any concerns.  I said, "Well, (rolling my eyes) she has been complaining about her arm hurting so if you could look at it and tell her it's fine, I would appreciate it.  We don't think anything is wrong but would like you to check."  He asks her which arm it is and then takes a quick look and says "Yup, it's broken.  You can see the swelling and the obvious break right here.  There have only been a handful of times in my career when I could look at something and say with 99% surety that it is broken and this is one of those times."

I felt SO BAD!  Courtney just looked at me with an "I told you so" look on her face.  The doctor said it was a buckle break so it didn't need a cast.  The bone had gone right back into place so he just needed to put a splint on it for stabilization and then have an x-ray taken to make sure nothing else was wrong.


The doctor called a couple hours later to tell me that the break had been clean and that nothing else was wrong.  We had to keep her in the splint for 3 weeks (taking it off for showers) and then she would be fine.

This is our first broken bone.

No comments: