Friday, November 28, 2008

We are SO resourceful!

We had a fun Thanksgiving Day. We put the turkey in the oven around 8:30 in the morning and then my parents drove to Cedar City to pick up my sister (it's so snowy that only 4 wheel drive vehicles can get up here). While they were gone Ethan and I were playing the Wii and the power went out a couple of times. When my parents got back with my sister, the electricity went out and didn't come back. We waited for a while to see if it would come back and it didn't. Mom called the owner, who called the electric company, who said a power generator was out but that they were working on it. It was getting cold in the cabin, so Bryan started a fire in the stove. My dad cleaned the foot of snow off the BBQ grill on the patio, took the turkey out of the oven and put the turken in the BBQ.





I had made the mashed potatoes early and were going to warm them in the crock pot, but without electricity we wouldn't be able to warm them up. So I put the potatoes in tin pan and put them on top of the wood stove to warm them. It worked pretty well.



When the turkey was finished, my dad and I got some juices from it and put the pot on the top of the wood burning stove and made gravy. It worked pretty well.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner of turkey baked in the BBQ, potatoes warmed on the wood stove and gravy made on the wood stove. I was pretty impressed at how resourceful we all were!

The electricity came back on right as we were cleaning up the dishes...figures!

1 comment:

Ben and Kimberly McEvoy said...

that is a very memorable turkey day, right there. sounds very fun, being up in the canyon at a cabin. very cool.