Sunday, November 30, 2008

We're Home!

Yesterday morning we woke up, got ready, packed up, cleaned and then drove back home. It was really cold but the skies were blue and the roads were clear. My dad had to drive us down to our van in his 4 wheel drive (thanks! to my parents who got us up to the cabin and back because our van wouldn't go far in that kind of snow!) and then made sure we could get on the road. We drove back through Zion and it was a quick, nice drive. Ethan even commented when we got home that he didn't even fall asleep and the drive was still fast (2 hours is quick to our kids now).

Our van had quite a bit of snow built up on top of it and as we were driving bits of it would fly off or streak down the front windshield. As we were driving through Zion I pointed out a piece to Bryan that looked like it was going to slide down the windshield in front of my face. He decided to help it along by pushing on the break. Suddenly, all the ice/snow on our roof came crashing down the windshield in sheets. Luckily there weren't other cars behind us because neither Bryan or I could see the road. Bryan just tried to pull over and then stopped the car. When we looked behind us, there was a big trail of snow/ice behind us. We were laughing so hard. Neither of us realized that the ice/snow on the top of the car was ready to slide down. But we were glad we had a spot to pull off!

When we got home, we gave Courtney a nap and Ethan and I went to the Church so I could practice the organ for Sunday (I was subbing for someone). He loves going places with just one of us and always calls it his "date." I kept messing up on the organ and was getting really frustrated. Ethan came up and stood next to me and began humming the hymns that I was playing. He told me that "if you get lost or can't remember what to play, just listen to my humming and I'll help you through." What a thoughtful kid!

After Courtney's nap we went for family photos. My family had a disasterous family photo session last year so I found someone else this year that seemed really good. She had us meet her at a park and she took a long time with us. She's actually a preschool teacher so she took a ton of photos of the kids playing around and Ethan really liked her. We get a disk with the photos in about a week so I'll post them and you can decide how they turned out.

Then the kids went with my parents and sister to play while Bryan and I went Christmas shopping. It was nice to be out and getting things done and the kids had a blast! My mom said Courtney showed a little jealous streak. They all went to Jumpin' Jacks (the bounce house place) and there was a little boy, about Courtney's age, who kept following Ethan around. Apparently this really upset Courtney and she wanted that boy to leave "my Ethan" alone. She only wanted Ethan to play with her and not this other little boy. She told us later that she didn't want to share Ethan. I think it's cute!

No comments: