Thursday, April 17, 2014

Blood Drive and Offer to Drive Home

Ethan needed to do 1 hour of service in the medical field to finish up his medicine merit badge.  His merit badge counselor wanted them to do service at the Free Clinic in town but it was across town and had weird hours.  There was going to be a blood drive in our stake so he wanted to help at that instead.  When the sign up sheet was passed around Relief Society, I noticed there was a section for volunteers so I signed him up.

Bryan wanted to take Ethan up to the blood drive and give blood himself.  I had a food order to do and so Courtney decided to go with them.  She sat and did her homework the entire time.

Ethan sat at the front table and helped people check in.  They had him make reminder phone calls too.  He thought it was a lot of fun and that the woman who trained him was "awesome."  It was such a great experience for him and Bryan was very impressed by how well Ethan did.

Bryan did a great job giving blood too.  He had the fastest time until some "punk kid" came who beat Bryan's time by a minute.  I didn't know there was a contest as to who could pump blood out the fastest.

They all ate cookies and Bryan was given a coupon to a restaurant.  His name was also entered into a drawing for prizes, but we didn't hear anything so we figure that he didn't win.

When Ethan's hour was up they loaded in the truck to come home.  Ethan turned to Bryan and, with concern, said, "Dad, with all the blood you gave are you sure you're safe to drive home?  I could drive home for you."  Nice try kiddo, but no!  What a crack up!

No comments: