A couple of weeks ago I was driving the kids home from Ethan's piano lesson and there wasn't anything good on the radio so I was channel surfing trying to find something to listen to (I had forgotten my Sansa). I stopped on a station called Planet 94.1 and they were announcing a contest called the "Best Teacher on the Planet." Ethan immediately perked up. It said that you had to get on their internet site and nominate your teacher for the award by telling why he/she is the Best Teacher on the Planet. When we got home Ethan instantly asked if I could get him on the radio station's site. So we did a search and found it. Then he asked if I would help him nominate his teacher for the award. I helped him fill out the form and he told me what to type in the essay part. He said that she was great because she didn't give them very much homework, was nice, made school fun and was a great teacher. It was sweet.
When we had submitted it, I made sure to tell Ethan that they probably had a lot of entries and that his may not be chosen so not to be too disappointed if we didn't hear anything back from them. He wanted to go to school and tell all his friends to get online and nominate his teacher also, but I think he probably forgot. He was so excited about it though. Then we forgot all about it.
I ran errands with Courtney today and when we got back the elementary school's name was on our caller ID. I was nervous that Ethan was sick or something, but they hadn't called my cell phone. I noticed there was a message and so I listened. It was Mrs. Feltwell, Ethan's teacher. She called to thank me for nominating her for the Best Teacher on the Planet. Ethan's entry had won!! The radio station gave Mrs. Feltwell a gift certificate for a pedicure and some other things (I think).
When Ethan got home he was so excited. He told me that they were doing worksheets in their classroom when some people walked in and asked if Ethan was there. He said he was a little nervous because he didn't know why they were there, but then they explained that his entry was the one that had won and that his teacher was the "Best Teacher on the Planet." Ethan got a gift certificate for a free meal at Ruby River Steak House, a coupon for Cinnasticks at Domino's Pizza and another gift card (I don't remember what for now). And the entire class got cookies...right before lunch! ;) He was so happy about it and said that his teacher was so excited and he felt so good making her happy.
His funniest comment was that he met "read people who are on the radio." That seemed to thrill him too. Mrs. Feltwell, in her message, said that this had made her year and I certainly hope so. She has really made school fun for Ethan and he just loves her so I'm glad we could give something to her that she will enjoy (who doesn't enjoy being pampered and told they are wonderful?!)! And I'm glad I have a considerate son who thinks of others!
2 comments:
What a great story! I'm sure his teacher will remember this for a long, long time -- and Ethan the super student!
that is so awesome.
what a great kid.
how cool that ethan got some sweet stuff too.
what a neat exp. for all the kids in his class. I am sure he is the cool kid on campus now!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment