For a little girl who screams when a dog gets near her and freaks out when a bug is within 100 feet, it was a bit traumatic to take a field trip to a farm. But Courtney did okay.
Ethan has been to the Stahli Family Farm in Washington City before, so he gave Courtney a run down of what would happen when she went. She was actually pretty excited to go when she woke up this morning. We carpooled out to Washington with the other neighborhood moms. The minute I stopped the car in the "parking field" Courtney knew she was in trouble. Chickens were running around, cows were mooing in the next field over and there were flies all over. Needless to say, Courtney had to be carried. (Now, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of chickens either, it's a long story, but I did really well at hiding my intense dislike of the things so Courtney wouldn't freak out even worse.)
The first thing we did was sit on some hay bails while the nice lady told us the rules. Then we went to a row of pens where the woman told us all about the various animals. You will see in the slide show that Courtney is huge and the animals are small behind her. It's because I was holding her the entire time and had to put her at arms length to try and get a photo. Except the sheep picture where my arm was just too tired to carry her any longer so I put her down, took a photo and then switched arms. They had a huge pig, a cow that pooped while the kids were petting it (this freaked Courtney out pretty badly), some llamas, a dog, ducks, goats and a bunch of horses and cows. There were flies everywhere which made Courtney scream every few seconds. Courtney wouldn't pet anything but she looked at them, so that's progress.
When we were finished looking at the animals, we washed our hands and lined up to take a wagon ride behind a tractor. This was great fun. Courtney was one of the first in line to climb on and couldn't wait for us to start moving. We went by a bunch of cows on our way to a pumpkin patch. Courtney loved looking at the pumpkins and the woman who was showing us around really knew a lot about the farm so she was able to tell the kids all kinds of fun facts.
Then we went back to where we began and they loaded the kids into barrels with wheels and took them on a ride. At first, Courtney got in a barrel with her friend, Hayley. But then she decided that she didn't want to take the ride and got out before they started moving. She waited and watched all the kids have a lot of fun and decided she would try it. When it was time for another round of kids to go, she hopped in and got ready. She was still pretty nervous but you could tell that she wanted to try it. I was nervous for her because I was sure she would freak out because the dog seemed to really like running beside the barrel she happened to be in. But she did great. They did donuts and went all over the farm and by the cows. The lady driving the tractor kept a close eye on Courtney and said that she did wonderful!
Then it was time to play for a bit. They had a slide that ended in a vat of corn. Ethan had told me about this but I really didn't understand what it was until I saw it. Courtney loved going down the slide but hated having corn in her shoes!!
The kids then washed up and had donuts and juice for a snack before playing on the swings. Courtney then didn't want to leave, but we had some errands to run so we had to go. She asked if we could go back again tomorrow and play. I asked if she wanted to see the animals again and she said, "That's okay. I saw them already." I think it was a successful field trip once we got past the animals!
No comments:
Post a Comment