Friday, October 3, 2008
I got it!!
After months and months of working my way through red tape, I finally got a business license to make cakes in my house. The process started last March when we filed my Articles of Organization with the State of Utah. I then sent a copy of all of my recipes (12 in all) to the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food to be tested to make sure they were not "toxic." That was supposed to take 2 to 3 weeks, but took 4 months. When that was finished, I had to get my food handler's permit and some other supplies I was required to have in my home. I then had to have an inspection by the Health Inspector for the Southern Utah area and the woman over the Cottage Food Industry from the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food. Once that was finished, I had my license from the Department of Agriculture to be a "Cottage Food" producer. Then the City of Ivins came into play. I took my paperwork to them, paid my money for a license and waited. They had a committee meeting, which was attended by the City Attorney who is our neighbor and the Head of Zoning who is in our ward, and decided that I could proceed. I then had to get my fire extinguisher "tagged," i.e. pay more moey to have a buy put a tag on it saying it was tested and pay more money to schedule a fire inspection. The fire inspector showed up in an ambulance which greatly worried Courtney. After I passed the fire inspection, letters were sent out to all my neighbors within 400 feet telling them that I was starting a business so they could publicly object if they wanted to. I (Or, rather Bryan, because it was during Ethan's piano lessons) then had to attend another committee meeting where public objections are heard, if any (there weren't any!). They decided that I would be granted a license. I got it in the mail a few days ago and was so excited that it's all finally finished...until I have to pay my renewal fees and have another health inspection.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment