Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Duet Recital

Courtney had a duet recital Tuesday night.  I got to be her duet partner which I loved.  I think her teacher just assumes I am going to play with her which is fine with me.

We got ready and went to the piano store for the recital.  We were right on time and her piano teacher started right after we got there.  Mrs. Hunt did the announcements, we had a prayer, then the piano store lady did a 10 minute sales pitch on the pianos.  Then it was time for the recital.  Mrs. Hunt drew names from a hat for the order you would play in but, unfortunately, there were quite a few people absent or late so it took forever drawing names!

Courtney and I had this song down pat and had played it at a recital at the beginning of May but we never use the first page because it's a pain to turn pages and I didn't want to deal with it.  But Mrs. Hunt doesn't like you to have it memorized for the duet recital so we had to use the music.  This threw me off!!  So I started the song wrong and we had to start over.  Just ignore the beginning of the video if you don't want to see me crash and burn. ;)  Oh well.  We still did a great job, in my opinion.


When everyone had finally finished playing, the awards were given out.  There was a "pass off" incentive that had been in place for the past 3 months.  The students would get a reward (which she doesn't tell them before hand because then they won't work hard if they don't happen to like the reward) if they pass off 44 songs in the 3 month period.  That's an average of 4 songs per week.  Courtney worked really hard and some weeks actually passed off 6 or 7.  So she was given a can of Pringles.  She was pretty excited.

Courtney never looks very happy at piano recitals so I don't have a photo of her with a smile, but she does enjoy playing the piano.


After the recital, all the students were given a huge Butterfinger bar as their reward for performing and then the siblings were given a cupcake.  I stayed after to talk to Mrs. Hunt.  We have decided that we are going to take Courtney out of piano with Mrs. Hunt.  Courtney has signed up for orchestra for the Fall and so we want her to have a little bit less stressful piano experience while she is taking violin.  Mrs. Hunt was really good about it.  She is a really good teacher and I have appreciated the success both Ethan and Courtney have had with her.

Now on to new adventures!

No comments: