Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ethan's Birthday!!

Ethan always gets breakfast in bed.  He usually gets the same thing but this year there was a variation.  He got sausage, eggs, and orange juice.  He usually gets bacon too and sometimes crepes but we tried to keep it simple.  He loves having it brought in to him but he doesn't like eating it alone so after we took it in, he came to the table to eat with the rest of us.



I had meetings so I left to go to those while everyone showered and got ready for Church.  My meeting let out early so I was able to go home and help get things ready.

The meetings were really good.  Ethan sat on the stand for the beginning of Sacrament meeting and then Brother Ence presented him with his certificate of graduation from Primary and his Faith in God award.  Then they sustained him to receive the Aaronic Priesthood.  Ethan was watching the deacons like a hawk during the passing of the sacrament so he would know what to do next week.

He went to his regular Primary class while the adults went to Sunday School then Ethan followed his friends who are already 12 to Priesthood.  Bryan was looking forward to this and told Ethan that he didn't have to go back to Primary to be sung to.  They still sing the "Goodbye Goodbye" song I started when I was chorister forever ago!  Ethan doesn't like it when they sing to him.  Well, during Priesthood they introduced Ethan and then the Primary Secretary found him and told him he needed to go back to Primary to be sung to.  Bryan told her that Ethan would come when Bryan was finished with him.  So Ethan went in late, they sang to him and then he went to Deacons Quorum.  And he LOVED it!

When the block of meetings were finished, we all met up at the Bishop's office so Ethan could receive the Aaronic Priesthood and be ordained to a Deacon.  He was so excited and very ready.  Bryan gave him the most beautiful blessing and I was, once again, struck by the amazing young man Ethan is and what a blessing it is to have him as our son.  I was also struck by the great examples of the men who have gone before him who were able to stand in the circle.

Then it was time to party!!  We went home and began cooking and getting things ready for the BBQ.  Ethan and Courtney entertained with their dancing.


Here's the video:

We had BBQ ribs, shrimp kabobs, salads, fruit, and potato salad.  It was a great meal!  Usually Ethan has steak and shrimp but we compromised with ribs.  Bryan and Grandma Pack figured out how to make them so they were really tender and yummy!

It was then time for cake and ice cream and the opening presents.

This is my favorite picture of Ethan from when he was little.  This was in July of 2003, so he was just a little over 1 year old and he had figured out how to make a "mean face."  But it was just hilarious!!  So I had it printed at Albertson's on sugar paper that I could lay on the cake and it's edible.  I think it turned out cute!




 Ethan got a new mitt from Grandma and Grandpa Pack.

Grandpa Oman gave him a fishing pole and is going to have to take him fishing because we don't fish.  I don't like to clean their guts out.
 Ethan got books from Grandma and Grandpa Pack and Don and Kathy:
Courtney gave him a few drawing books:

Grandma and Grandpa Oman and Aunt Leigh Ann gave him a Nook Glowlight (just what he wanted!):

And we gave him a nice mountain bike so he and Bryan can go out and have fun!  He was so excited and had to ride it around to get the feel of it.


All in all, he had a great day!  Thanks to everyone who traveled and came to our house to spend the weekend and celebrate with Ethan.  I know it meant a lot to him to have his family around!!

No comments: