Saturday, March 21, 2009

Compassion

I just looked up the word "compassion" in the dictionary and was shocked, shocked I say, that Ethan's picture wasn't next to the word! ;) The kid just amazes me at how he feels other's pain.

Courtney was threatened last night that if she didn't stay in bed she wouldn't get a story tonight for bed. She got up 2 more times so we told her that she wouldn't get a story for bed tonight. She remembered this and when we were eating dinner she asked Bryan if she would get a story tonight. He told her "sure" but then I kindly reminded him that she had disobeyed and couldn't get one. She started to get upset so we tabled the discussion until a time when we weren't in a crowded restaurant.

During scripture reading tonight she told me that she was really sad because she wouldn't get a story. When Ethan heard this he became more upset than Courtney was and began begging us to let her have a story. This has worked in the past because we just can't stand how sad he is for his sister and it softens our hearts, but it doesn't teach Courtney anything. So we didn't give in this time. Ethan was not happy with us.

I sang Courtney a song and then Bryan put her to bed. We were in Ethan's room reading "Harry Potter" when Courtney came out. She had to go to the bathroom, so I helped her and she went back to bed. We were once again reading when the door opened again. Bryan asked me, "Has she been threatened?" I told him that I hadn't yet threatened to take away another bedtime story. I got up and as I walked out the door I heard Bryan say, "Courtney, if you get out of bed one more time..." and his voice became muffled. When I got back to Ethan's room I found out that, when Ethan heard Bryan starting to threaten no bedtime story, he jumped up and covered Bryan's mouth so he couldn't finish.

I wish I could say that everyone appreciated how compassionate out little guy is, but they don't. I just hope that he knows that I appreciate it and love him for it. He really is a textbook example of "compassion: a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for someone struck by misfortune, accompanied by a desire to alleviate the suffering."

No comments: