Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 2 of Spring Break

It's St. Patrick's Day which Bryan refuses to acknowledge but that's okay because I tried to and it didn't work so I'm not going to try next year. I made green waffles which only Bryan and I ate because "that's gross Mom." So I made oatmeal for Courtney and Ethan didn't eat.

Bryan ran to work and Courtney, Ethan and I ran errands. We ended up at the dinosaur museum where we had a 2-for-1 coupon. Courtney was free and they only charged me for Ethan and made my ticket free. Score! It was a fun time. They had rubbings you could do of different dinosaurs, fossils to dig up and some touch exhibits. We watched a short movie about dinosaurs and then explored the museum. It isn't much but it is interesting to look around. We bought a couple of things at the gift shop and then went outside to their sandbox. In the bottom of the sandbox are fossils that you can dig up. It's pretty cool and the place where the kids spent the most time.

Then we were off to the Art Museum. Ethan had been there once before with my parents and we have been there once as a family, but I wasn't sure how interesting it was going to be. We had a 2-for-1 coupon for that too, but they charged me full price and let both the kids in for free, so I really couldn't complain. They had a beautiful exhibit on Zion National Park which Ethan loved and wants to take Bryan to see. But the best part was the kids art area. We were the only ones at the Museum, which I think isn't that well attended, so my kids had the run of the place. They had art supplies all over and paints for the kids to use. They each made a couple of creations and then Ethan found a little play area where he could design his own museum. He liked putting things into categories and putting teh smallest paintings together and so on. Courtney loved the book nook where she could look at all kinds of children's art books while sitting on a bean bag chair.

While we were looking around the kids section we found some clipboards with a quiz on them. The instructions said to go around the museum and find the answers to the questions and then take it to the front desk to claim your prize. Ethan was very excited and we took off to get all the questions answered. Since he can read, he would read the question to me and then find the art. He would then ask me if he was correct or not and write the answer. It was great! I helped Courtney, she would write a few letters she knew and then I would take over the rest. When they finished we took it up to the front desk where they claimed their prize. The woman apologized because the Art Museum is going through some rough financial times so the prizes weren't all that, but my kids loved it anyway.

Then we used our free pizza coupon and got Dominos for lunch. Courtney took a long nap while Ethan read and then played with friends. After her nap and Bryan was home, she and I ran to the library to check out the first Harry Potter movie. Bryan just finished reading it to Ethan so we wanted to watch the movie. We had dinner (split pea soup to go along with the green theme) and then popped popcorn and had orange julius while we watched the movie. It was fun and the kids loved staying up late, although now we can't get Courtney to go to bed. But that's life. Maybe she will sleep in tomorrow...yeah right!

No comments: