Sunday, March 29, 2009

Girl's Camp Fund Raiser

Saturday was our fund raiser for Girl's Camp. This year we wanted to do something different for camp. Usually the camps have been on a stake level, but this year it's all on a ward level. We wanted to give the girls a break so we choose a site where we wouldn't have to set up tents, had flush toilets and showers, and (something we tried to keep secret) it has a swimming pool. But...we had to work and earn the money it would take to rent the place. The assistant camp director and I talked about money making fund raiser and she mentioned that they had washed windows a few years ago and it had done really well. We took the idea to the girls and they thought it would be fun so...we washed windows.

A month ago we sent sign-up sheets around the ward and we had (originally) 40 houses sign up but 2 dropped out before the fund raiser. I got a ward map and marked where each of the houses was and then put them into 4 teams. The assistant camp director bought spray bottles, made up a vinegar/soap/water solution, and brought them over. I collected squeegees, rags, water thermoses, and other things we would need. Then the girls met at my house Saturday morning.

We did a training on how to wash a window, split them into 4 groups, gave them each a wagon to pull with the supplies on it along with a water thermos, apples and granola bars for snacks, and sent them on their way. The girls had a great time and we were able to wash the outside windows of 38 houses in 3 1/2 hours! It was amazing. We charged $30 for a single story home and $50 for a 2 story home. We made enough money for the location, gas money to get there, and entrance fees into the National Park where we are going. So we are set!

I've had some suggestions on how to make it better that we'll use next time...I think people want this as an annual thing. It was fun enough!

2 comments:

DEFRIEZ said...

Good for you!!!

Leavitt Family said...

That will be awesome!!! When I was there we had to go to the Beaver high Adv. yuck!!!! The girls will love this year how fun!!! I love the pics of Ethan how fun he gets to play the piano!!!